[SML] Video Monitors – MaestroCam

Steven Mclean stevenjmclean at gmail.com
Sat May 19 11:06:52 UTC 2018

I have worked peripherally with video conductor monitors for opera  in our
space at Simpson College where Pote Theatre features a thrust stage with
the acting area closest to the audience, DOWNSTAGE of the orchestra pit.
DMMO uses the space in the same way during the summer.

Anyway, both DMMO and the Music at Simpson companies have until now REFUSED
to use flat-screen monitors because they insist that there are latency
issues...they have a stable of tube-style monitors.  Even if one could
assure them that there are no longer latency issues, I am sure that there
are conductors/singers, etc who would perceive them.

Since Opera is about the Singing, the parasitic light from the monitor FOH
is just something that must be accepted...or so I am also told.

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 8:14 PM, Jeffrey E. Salzberg via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> This, from the PM of an opera I'm lighting in Vermont:
>

> "I had planned to place a camera in the orchestra, connected to monitors
> similar to what we've used for our fall operas, this year using one large
> and two smaller monitors up on blocks not far from the stage... but Maestro
> isn't crazy about that idea -- he thinks having them on the floor close to
> the stage will make it too obvious that singers are looking at them.
>

> "He asked if we could mount them on the house R & L walls from the
> sconces! But I don't have flat screen monitors, and when I looked into it
> it was very expensive to find ones that worked for this purpose with no
> delays.
>

> "He may well have to be happy with what we've got, but I figured I'd
> explore the possibility that Jeff knows of somewhere in Boston area where
> they use monitors that we could borrow/rent?"
>

> I don't, as a matter of fact (although I'll check with 4Wall-Boston and
> High Output on Monday). Anyone have any other ideas?
>

> The fact that they would light up the audience quite nicely during
> blackouts is another issue entirely, of course.

> <#m_-120783562333293308_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Steven J McLean
stevenjmclean at gmail.com
designandtechtheatre.wordpress.com