[SML] Cell phone use in venues

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Sun Sep 16 16:27:20 UTC 2018

When I went to the Jimmy Kimmel vs Ted Cruz Blobbfish Classic basketball
game, they used these to secure phones (they were “banned” from being used
at the game. They worked well because we had our phones in our possession
at all times but we couldn’t use them. Then when the game was over, as we
walked out they opened them for us & we gave them the bag back.

-Will Leonard

That would be fine at a noisy event like a ball game - where there is noise to
cover phone alerts. It is a different matter in the theatre.

Even if the auditorium is surrounded by a Faraday Cage, the phone can still
produce alerts for time/event reminders or low batteries.

It is a real conundrum, since the only ways to ensure no phones will ring is
to ban their presence in the auditorium.

Bill