[SML] Painting Chrome

Bruce bruce at ledworklights.com
Mon Jan 14 07:54:55 UTC 2019

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 5:38:14 PM CST, jdunfee12--- via Stagecraft
wrote:
> 2nd task; I have a modern-built chrome wheel chair, with
> bicycle type wheels, that looks like something from a century
> ago, with its wood and wicker seats. But, the chrome isn't at
> all period, so, I need to somehow paint it.
> Aside from sand-blasting, to roughen the metal before painting,
> is there any other approach I can take.  I would ideally like a
> brass or bronze look, but a back wrought iron look is OK as
> well.

  Do you want to be able to return the frame to it's chromed state
afterward or is the painted state intended to be permanent?  Most metal
primers just need a mechanical 'tooth' to do their job so a flap disc on a
grinder would get that job done.  You could also use a nitric acid etch if
you are truly stuck on painting.  This is a toxic and dangerous process
however.

  Might I suggest a powdercoat process instead?  Suprisingly easy with a
couple of IR lamps or just ship it off to the nearest powdercoat shop.

Just a $.02 thought.

:Bruce Cooper
--
Itinerant Stagehand