[SML] comm system

Andy Leviss andy at soundguyandy.com
Fri May 10 16:33:38 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 8:40 AM Dan Sheehan via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> anybody have experience or pro/con opinion
>
> on  using an Eartec system to add some
> wireless headsets to an existing old ClearCom wired system ?

Run. Fast and far. They both are super sensitive to RF interference, and
tend to inject similar into anything they can. ClearCom already has a
horrible Pin 1 problem of it's own, and the little plastic interface box
Eartec sells to connect the two is also super sensitive to RFI. My former
job has one, and it took all sorts of playing with precise locations of the
base station, the interface box, and nearby wired com stations to get the
noise down to "almost tolerable".

I eventually took the entire interface box apart and rebuilt it in a metal
enclosure with more adequate shielding, which made a noticeable
improvement, but it's still far from perfect, and it's inexcusable to sell
a product that requires such a drastic DIY to get to "somewhat acceptable"
performance.

-Andy