[SML] Is everyone still ok?

Hain, Ben P ben.hain at rctc.edu
Thu Apr 2 18:15:17 UTC 2020

Hi from Rochester MN and home of the WFMC - World Famous Mayo Clinic.

Every show around here has been cancelled or postponed. Our governor ordered 'Shelter in Place' last Monday.
Our College went on spring break March 9 just as all this was breaking and we never came back. I'm very fortunate they haven't laid anyone off. Lots of online training and cleaning the shop and I did buy a bunch of clear plastic bins to organize the props area... I did some of it... then lost my motivation.
Sure do appreciate ETC and their online training and the webinars they're setting up. Great Stuff!

My wife works for Mayo Clinic in a non-patient contact area and she has started working from home. We live on a farm in the country and don't have very good internet options so that's been a challenge. Getting a new internet provider on the 13th! Have to bounce the signal off a barn to get to the house, but hope it's better than the 'WildBlue' satellite service we have now.

I am certainly enjoying my extra free time at home and getting machinery ready for spring. Doing repairs and maintenance that I don't usually have time for with shows opening and commencement exercises and regular college activities.

We have a 25yr old daughter with Downs Syndrome, but no extra respiratory issues thankfully, and we pulled her from all her programs back on March 16th. She's loving being home and watching movies and doing whatever she wants.

So we're OK.
It's good to keep busy during the day; helps the mind from running away with itself.
But at night, when it's quiet and dark... that's when things sneak back in, you know?
Working on that.

Keep being safe all of you.
We know we'll get through this. Trying to focus on the positives.

Ben

Ben Hain
Technical Director
Hill Theater - RCTC