[SML] Folding workbench/chop saw station....

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Fri Jul 10 00:42:05 UTC 2020

On 7/9/2020 2:21 PM, Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
> So I've been trying to figure out something I've always wanted for
> home... I have a small 2-bay garage, with one bay for the wood
> shop.... along the wall (about 10 feet available) I want a workbench
> (with my chop saw on it as well) but with a fold-down top at the same
> height as the chop saw - and the work area of the workbench lowers out
> of the way automagically, all level-like.... and when I'm done with
> the chop saw, I can fold the top back up and have my workbench exposed
> again.  I have dreamt of this, and POW - I find this video, where this
> guy has been working on the very same thing!
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHhXbz1K0k0&t=396s
>
> But... the video is not really about the bench he's working on...
> (great video, but the bench is a prop, not the subject) - and he
> doesn't have a video, or drawings, of the design/project.
>
> Anyone done anything like this? My brain isn't so good on machining
> the physics, but drawings help my brain a lot.  I've pored over "kits"
> for murphy beds with level desks, but they're expensive kits, and not
> really what I want - so they really haven't been that helpful, in a
> reverse-engineering manner.
>
> I'm looking to build two of these - one that's maybe 5 feet on one
> side of my chop saw, and another that's about 3 feet on the other
> side.
>
> Thoughts? Resources?
>
>   - Jon

Are you looking for something to just hold boards and such level with
the table of the chop saw, or something more substantial:

My thought is to build your primary workbench at your comfortable
height, and then put the chop saw table level about six or eight inches
taller than primary bench.   Put some 2x4s or whatever on hinges that
you fold them up against the wall out of the way when you are not using
the saw.  When you use the saw, fold them down to the level matching the
chop saw level.  Have one every 16 inches or so.   Fold out leg on the
ends that rest on the edge of your primary bench.   Depending on how
beefy you want to make it, can be really cheap and cheezy, or more money
more stronger.

   this gets you away from having to lift up a whole heavy bench every
time you need it. and also reduces the amount of surface to collect
sawdust and random tools.  Or be dropped onto a project on the primary
bench if the latch holding it up fails.

Crude ascii graphic below.
L is the wall behind the bench.  Upper line is 2x4, lower line is
primary bench, I is the end support that rests on the primary bench.

L________
L	I
L_______I

Dale