[SML] Fwd: D Day

herrick goldman herrick at hglightingdesign.com
Thu Jul 16 21:23:39 UTC 2020

Hopefully attachments get thru

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michael T. Strickland <MStrickland at banditlites.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 16, 2020, 16:30
Subject: D Day
To: Michael T. Strickland <MStrickland at banditlites.com>

Today, July 16, 2020, is D Day for the Live Event Industry. Today is the
moment in time when we collectively begin the final push to work with our
Congresspeople and Senators to assure that our industry is able to survive
into 2021. On March 12th when this anomaly of COVID 19 invaded us, our
world shut down in a moment. Most of us believed that we would be back to
normal in 30 to 90 days. So, we all quietly followed instructions, shut
down, gathered our resources, and went into an imposed hibernation. As we
moved to the end of June and the reality of the situation became apparent,
everyone was forced to take a serious look at their own circumstance as it
related to the truth that our industry was still completely shuttered.

I had previously written that June 30 would be a day when the future of
Live Events for 2020 would be clearly defined. Much like anticipating the
Superbowl or the World Cup, I believed a final result would occur. We would
have a definitive answer. I never saw what happened coming. A tie. None of
us could imagine nor would we accept a tie in the Superbowl or The World
Cup. But with the COVID 19 virus, we have been handed a tie. There is not a
clear winner or a clear path. The US and indeed the world is split on what
path to take going forward. Do we shut or do we open? Schools, churches,
restaurants, theaters, malls, stores, sports and yes, venues and events.
Where we sit medically has been interpreted in  several different ways. You
may feel your perception is correct, but other people have different
perceptions. Thus, the political situation is equally confusing. The
medical and the political situation are intertwined now and there is no
100% agreement on a path forward. Perhaps I was foolish to believe it was
as simple as open or shut.

This is what we do know now. The likelihood of events reopening to a
significant level in the next  3 to 4 months is very low. Thus, to a point,
we do have a decision. How many times have you asked your boss a question
and gotten no answer? The non-answer is an answer. In this case, the lack
of a clear path to reopening means we remain shuttered. That is where we
are. It does not matter why. That is just where we are. We are still in the
quicksand and need to focus on getting out rather than how we got here.

This leads us to today, D Day. In the last four months I have gotten to
know many of you. I have made hundreds of new friends. I have heard your
wants, needs, concerns and fears. We have become like the soldiers in the
landing crafts headed to Omaha Beach on D Day. The recent time together has
made us one, and we are all staring at the cliffs on the beach ahead
wondering how we survive. Together. So, all we have at this exact moment is
each other and the strength of our size. Our time together has made us one,
and in the next 10 days what we do will determine our fate. Together, we
win. You know that. I know that. We know that. But we must all work in
unison to achieve our goals and succeed.

The goal at this point is clear and simple. We have all made it to today
through sheer grit and determination. We will make it to the end, but we
cannot give up. We discovered along the way that we are indeed a band of
gypsies with no real, strong, common voice in Washington DC. Think of us
like a lot of children, and our Congresspeople and Senators are mom and
dad. If we want something, we need to ask Mom and Dad. But we had no strong
voice. We were but whispers in the wind.

In the last 12 weeks the various segments of the industry have pulled
together, and we are all now on the same page, speaking the same language.
As the events unfolded, we discovered that there was an organization with a
large, loud voice in Washington. That organization is NAMM. The National
Association of Music Merchandisers. They have long fought for their
industry in Washington and indeed achieved great things. They have a staff,
a focus, and a budget to achieve goals in Washington. They actually speak
to Mom and Dad. They are heard.

Joe Lamond, the President of NAMM, has graciously agreed for NAMM to be the
voice for the Live Event Industry at this time. Live Events are part of the
fabric of what NAAM represents, and it is time Live Events became a part of
and supported NAMM. I joined today! NAMM is now working on behalf of all of
the music and Live Events industry and people in this time of need. As we
invade the beachfront, NAMM is the tip of the spear. The NAMM lobbying team
is working for us now.

Congress will be in session July 20 to August 8. In this session it is
their intention to deliver the 4th and final COVID 19 Relief Bill. There
will most likely be no more federal relief. Our industry needs two
important items: Another round of PPP and a system of low interest long
term loans, or Grants. Both items have been on the table and in discussion
for weeks. There is bipartisan support for both, and all parties seem to
indicate something will be worked out. This is meant to be targeted to only
those industries that are still impacted and have no other way of survival.
This is focused at Leisure and Hospitality, which we sit inside of.
Restaurants, hotels, bars, gyms, and others also sit in this focused area.

There are two other issues of interest to all of us, but several other much
larger industries are fighting those fights. Both Liability Indemnity and
extension of Enhanced Unemployment are needed items going forward. Again,
the popular theme on the street in DC is that some form of both of those
will indeed be delivered. We leave those fights to others and focus on our
two needs. The word on the street seems to have the Enhanced Unemployment
to possibly end up in the $400 per week area, through the end of 2020.

As we begin this campaign what each of us needs to do is simple. One last
time we need to e-mail our congresspeople and Senators and make the final
ask. Attached there is a PDF letter from NAMM to send to your Senators as
an attachment. You will also cut and past the below letter to use as the
body of your letter.

Dear (fill in Senator and/or staffer name):

I write to bring your attention to challenges facing the live event
industry and to urge the inclusion of targeted relief for the industry as
Congress considers additional coronavirus relief measures this month.

Live event venues were among the first to close and will likely be the last
to reopen. Workers in the live event sector were among the first to have
their jobs disrupted, and they will be among the last to return to their
jobs. By its very nature, live events work cannot be done from home. In
recent decades, a significant and growing share of employment and economic
activity has come from the business of “getting people together.” Live
event venues — many of which are owned by local governments – generate
millions in tax revenue and sustain jobs in communities across the country.
Restaurants, hotels, retail stores, and other local businesses also
directly benefit from the hundreds of millions of concerts, theater,
festival, fair and eventgoers who attend millions of events each year.
Events, both commercial and nonprofit, are central to our individual and
collective identity. Live performance venues and the artists and workers in
the industry are the lifeblood of the cultural and social identity of our
neighborhoods. Social distancing, capacity limitations and other
restrictions mean that the live event industry will not recover in any
meaningful way until next year, and likely not until summer or later. It is
impossible to operate in a viable manner at low capacity.

We appreciate the leadership Congress has shown by providing vital,
short-term assistance with the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), expanding
unemployment insurance eligibility to “gig” workers and the self-employed,
and extending other relief. Businesses such as the live event industry that
are facing prolonged closure, however, need additional help.

Due to the unique circumstances of our industry, we support
industry-specific federal assistance through payroll support, tax relief,
and loan guarantees. Allowing the hardest hit businesses with demonstrated
losses to receive a second PPP loan would help, as would the bipartisan
“RESTART Act” (S. 3814), which proposes seven-year, low-interest loans with
deferred interest and principal repayments.

Sincerely,

NAME
Title, company
City, state

Unlike in the past, we have provided a list of the e-mails of the Chief of
Staff and Legislative Director for every Senator. It is of the utmost
importance that you contact the Senators this way, as the e-mail to the
Chief of Staff and Legislative Director is the shortest route. For the
Congresspeople, you will need to enter via their general portal found at
*https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials*
<https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials>. You will then need to cut and
paste the above letter into the box provided. It is critical you contact
your Senators and Congresspeople as soon as is possible. We need the weight
of this communication to arrive with our leaders before Monday. In this
way, we will have made thousands of unified asks for the much-needed
relief. Our strength is in numbers. Provide this letter to every friend,
employees, associate, client, or other entity or person you can. Today
through Sunday we are assaulting the beach at Normandy as we begin our push
to victory.

To end on a positive note, two potential vaccines, Moderna mRNA 1273 and
AstraZeneca AZN1222 both released phenomenal news in the last 24 hours.
Both have had significant positive results. Both have indicated a
possibility of a vaccine this year. Moderna has said as early as November,
and AstraZeneca has said possibly by September. You can go online and read
the details, but both have released very promising news which would
translate into a quicker opening for everything, including the Live Event
Industry.

I want to thank all of you for what you do, and for your dedication and
effort. It has been phenomenal. I will keep you updated as several of us
continue to work behind the scenes in the next few weeks. There is no task
more important at this moment. This is all to assist the people and the
companies. Without the people, there are no companies. Each one of you is
important. Do not forget all of this is available to free-lance workers as
well as W2 people.

Thank you all very much and let us push onto victory in 2020.

Michael T. Strickland

Chair

Bandit Lites

Michael T. Strickland