[SML] OSHA Industrial Fall Protection

NODEraser noderaser at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 03:08:46 UTC 2020

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 6:13 PM Dale Farmer via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Can you move the mounting points to the edges of the roof such that all
> the work normally needed can be done by someone leaning a ladder against
> the side of the thing and reaching everything while standing on the
> ladder?   I think this would make the entire discussion moot.  Also,
> making the job of the folks doing the work that much easier.

The antenna brackets are currently at the corners, that was proposed
as a workaround at our meeting. The brackets allow the antennas to be
tilted down and stored flat on the roof for high wind situations; in
that case (on a ladder) it would probably not be feasible to get the
appropriate leverage to raise/lower them safely, as some of them are
10' tall. Full removal of the antennas would be an option, but would
increase the job time as you'd have to disconnect all the cabling as
well As any permanent solution will require funding; we're looking at
changing the mount location to a telescopic or otherwise collapsible
antenna mast. That avoids the fall protection issue, and also affords
additional height for our antennas which gives us a better horizon
distance--additional performance which makes it an easier sell to
those who control the purse strings. We're working on getting various
mast solutions priced out, and will see what the PTB say about it.

I'm fully for a safe working environment, but in this case the fall
protection requirement seems a little overkill. It's not a regular
work area; once the antennas are installed there is only periodic
(monthly) inspection, and raising/lowering them when we get high wind
warnings.

[Greg Bennett]
-Independent Carpenter, Electrician & Lighting Designer
-Purveyor of Classic Apple & Macintosh Gear
http://www.hsiprodsvcs.com/
http://www.macshack.us/