[SML] tornados

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Thu Dec 16 02:29:42 UTC 2021

Yup, gotta keep the critical things powered. I'm a great fan of my
propane powered generator.  Propane stores indefinitely, and the thing
runs for a little over 12 hours on a standard 20 lb. tank. Starts up a
lot easier than gasoline generators.  Fridge, freezer, internet and
keeping mom's stairlift powered.  When the weather is cold, fridge stuff
can go out on the back porch and the power goes to the furnace.   One of
the handy freebie 'gifts' I got from Uline.com is a small butane stove.
  Bought a dozen canisters of fuel for it.

    One basic test for emergency preparation is, when your electricity
is out, can you brew up a cup of hot coffee?  (well, tea in my case.
*handwaves* ) This includes so many other basic things.  Water, heating
water, and you have the pot and stuff when the electric coffee machine
doesn't work.   Having a case of MREs on hand is also great.  they heat
up with the only thing needed is some water to activate the heaterthing.

I also keep a couple of MREs and bottles of water in my car.  Unless you
never drive out of the city, you can get stuck someplace and only have
what you have in your car to survive whatever the disaster is.  Also
handy to have when you are on a gig and they fail to provide meals, or
meals you find inedible, and leaving to find a restaurant isn't an option.

One can go much deeper down the rathole of emergency preparedness, but a
few basic preparations will make the inevitable crisis a lot more
comfortable and safer.  Couple of days worth of food, drinking water,
and a means of heating same makes so much sense.   Don't have to go buy
all that expensive freeze dried prepper stuff either. Just keeping a few
extra cans of your favorite heat and serve soups in the pantry, and an
extra case of bottled water. paper plates, bowls, etc. (dishwashing
machine doesn't work either)  If you got a gas grill, an extra tank of
propane, and you are pretty much set.

Be well,
Dale