[SML] Two things: Grease Car and creating fake Neon Sign

Joe jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 00:53:29 UTC 2022

Regarding neon, there are several led products designed to mimic neon.  Though, it really only looks super realistic from the front 120 deg of view. Walmart even carries some. The short one they have is not realistically colored, since the color changes every half inch. But, the $25 version, "Monster Smart LED Light Strip, All Weather Outdoor Use, Neon Multi-Color, 16.4 ft" seems to be able to provide a consistent color (which you can choose).  What I don't know about that one, is what its minimum bend radius is.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-Smart-LED-Light-Strip-All-Weather-Outdoor-Use-Neon-Multi-Color-16-4-ft/135568251?fulfillmentIntent=In-store
The Adam Savage team, did a video on one of those types of products. They used a 3D printed mount to press it into. But, I imagine a router could be used to make a similar thing with wood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVZn7YaRMd8
And as I said, there are several brands of this sort of product now. While looking for some links, I was surprised to see a newer product. LED Wire.  This look sort of like the EL Wire that has been out for a few decades now. But, that was not very bright.  However, these LED wires are VERY bright.  Here is a good intro. (though I haven't seen any inside a larger tube, designed for even more realistic neon simulation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhe8d9NgcsI

-Joe