[SML] Big book spines

Greg Bierly gbierly at dejazzd.com
Sun Aug 28 22:16:23 UTC 2022

We did a dance show called Storybook that I designed.  For the life of me I can’t find pictures and don’t recall exactly what we did.  I had staircases off the front of the stage painted like books and stacks of large books to roll around the stage.  I recall covering the spines with muslin over something to get the curve and the “gutter”. They were typically 8-12” wide spines to make steps.  They ranged in size with the smallest being a 4x8’ platform to slightly larger.  I did use 3/4” ethafoam backing rod split in half to create raised edges on the spine for the “nicer” books.  We even had one cover open with a 3/4” piece of plywood covered in muslin that created a bridge between low platforms and had a castle tower elevate out of the book.  I recall a lot but just can’t remember if we used hard or soft foam, or something else to create the curve of the spine.

Greg Bierly
(Soon to be retired) Performing Arts Center Coordinator
Hempfield High School