[SML] Haze machine

PJ Veltri pjveltri at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:41:01 UTC 2022

Clay

1) The Chauvet atmospherics are a great product, and have been for a really
long time, I've always had a DF-50 at my disposal, but for a quiet option
I've always dreamed of owning one of those.

2) Running the DF-50 (Which is oil-based) does leave a noticeable dust
everywhere, It doesn't make anything sticky or slimy. If you overfill it it
will spit out some droplets of oil on the stage and let me tell you from
experience those are very slippery.

3) I primarily try to place the hazer somewhere where you won't see the
cloud of haze that comes directly from the machine. I put it wayy offstage
with a fan so that we don't see the particles moving around, I can do this
because of the hang time of the DF-50 haze, it never goes away. For rock
shows, seeing the haze move is less of a problem, but for theatrical events
I don't want to distract the audience with a cloud of haze floating around.

4) Take a look at ANSI E1.23-2010 and Introduction to Modern Atmospheric
Effects, 6th edition both available through the ESTA Technical Standards
Program (
https://tsp.esta.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php?utm_source=onlinemedia&utm_medium=online&utm_term=ia&utm_content=iatse&utm_campaign=iaiatse
<(https://tsp.esta.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php?utm_source=onlinemedia&utm_medium=online&utm_term=ia&utm_content=iatse&utm_campaign=iaiatse)>).
If executed properly there should be no side effects from the use of Fog
and Haze.

*PJ Veltri*
Technical Director: Theatre
Grosse Pointe Public School System