[SML] Haze machine

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Tue Mar 29 19:39:00 UTC 2022

LeMaitre Radiance Hazers are also very good.  The external fan is louder than the hazer.  A cheap household fan would also work to move stuff around.

I recommend against a DF-50, only because of the noise level of the unit.  In a small venue you won’t get it far enough away from the audience to be quiet.

Yes, you want water based (also known as Gylcol or glycerin).  This is the Radiance fluid.
They don’t leave a residue on the stage or the equipment (unless you blast the output against something).  Put the fan behind or beside the hazer, and NOT in front of the output.  The fan gets disgusting over a long time.

DON’T do any home made haze.  I wouldn’t trust it (safety-wise), and it probably won’t be repeatable.

Budget-wise: try renting.
When I was with a local theatre company, they would buy foggers (not hazers) cheap from Halloween-type stores.  They would make fog, but it always cycled off right before the cue.  You won’t be affected if a hazer cycles on or off throughout the show.  I only mention because CHEAP comes at other costs.

Placement:  in the wings, or on a pipe above the stage (depends how your air flow works), behind the drum riser . . . .

Health issues.  A reputable brand (like from a rental company) should NOT cause any response from performers or audience.  I wouldn’t take a mouthful from the output nozzle, though.  However, some people are affected by the SIGHT of haze in the air.  You can’t do much about them.

Good luck.  Have fun.  It really does change the lighting and scenery of the show (walls of light are now possible).

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director, Head Lighting Technician
Chan Centre

Phone 604 822 2372
andrew.riter at ubc.ca<mailto:andrew.riter at ubc.ca>