[SML] Haze machine

Steven Mclean stevenjmclean at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 21:33:30 UTC 2022

Ross,  I haven't read all of the replies, so pardon if this is a repeat.
My experience with hazers is that they are GREAT when they are new.  The
MINUTE they begin experiencing problems, however, they are CRAP!.  If you
can afford to buy a new machine, then you should be very pleased with it
for the first few productions that you want to use it for.  However, with a
small space, you might explore the results from cheap over-the-counter
humidifiers.  They will produce a water haze that should give you the
desired effect in a smallish black-box style space at a FRACTION of the
cost.

FWIW, when the theatrical hazers (not cracked oil, but the water-based haze
fluid type) are new and working properly, you should NOT experience RESIDUE
(except maybe a TINY amount just at the nozzle of the unit).  Once they
malfunction, you can get puddles at the nozzle, but the Haze itself is
rather benign.  A quality Haze Fluid should NOT cause breathing problems.
However, check with your actor's union rep, because I understand that
Equity may have a different opinion.

Steven J McLean
515-480-8461
stevenjmclean at gmail.com