[SML] box booms

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 20:07:54 UTC 2024

I should add not all the architects.  Schools choose to enter an agreement
with a CM (construction manager) with a GMP (guaranteed maximum price)
because of bad experiences (way over budget) using the design, bid, build
approach. There is tremendous incentive on the part of the CM to minimize
costs once this agreement is in place.  I can only imagine that the
individuals are highly incentivised to reduce actual costs, since any
reductions are mostly additional profits to the CM.

Not in my opinion a good system but designers - I'll include consultants in
that group - too many times were optimistic in their estimating.  So a
school, with a finite amount of money based on a bond issue voted on by the
public, needs to know they won't spend more and GMPs do that - the
guarantee.

Not sorry I'm mostly out of it.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC