[SML] Was Torqueing truss, Now Grounding Truss

mouse at fieldmousepro.com mouse at fieldmousepro.com
Mon Mar 25 22:10:11 UTC 2024

Toothed washers sound like a solution in search of a problem. If there
is any doubt about the grounding path, a simple resistance test between
the truss and ground should reveal any issues. The only place I can
think of where a toothed washer might come in handy is for truss that is
painted and doesn't have a bare metal surface which would normally bond
the various pieces together, as well as for a connection point intended
to electrically ground the structure. Here's another thing: Any piece of
gear with a grounded chassis will also ground the truss it's mounted to,
assuming there's a bare metal connection between the two.

I'm not a structural engineer, but for what it's worth, I doubt that a
toothed washer would significantly impact the load handling ability of
the end plate of a piece of truss. Those are pretty thick slabs of
metal, and the deformation would seem to be pretty shallow. Am I missing
something in your description?

As for Noalox, it helps to prevent aluminum electrical connections from
oxidizing, not because the connection wouldn't work at all without it,
but to prevent overheating on current carrying connections due to the
slight added resistance that the oxide would create. I would argue that
its usefulness on grounding contacts is more of a "why not; it's cheap
insurance" than a distinct need to ensure functionality.

Stephen