[SML] Question for Props Artisans

Kate Stack k8stack at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 14:31:07 UTC 2016

I do work like this as a flat fee, or occasionally a flat fee + materials
cost. Props uses so many fiddly bits that dividing up materials expenses
gets a little weird, so I'd rather just estimate what I know I need to buy,
plus a few bottles of glue, and not deal with having a conversation with a
manager about why I bought what I bought.

He does need to explicitly state how notes and repairs will be handled. An
hourly rate, with a minimum, is my standard for repairs and notes once the
item is delivered. Changes during the build process are harder- designers
have a sixth sense for changing their mind about a detail immediately after
you've finished it. It should be expressed to management how those changes
will affect the final cost and delivery time of the piece.

Things get a little trickier since this is the Nutcracker, and it's likely
being remounted for a few years. Depending on the work he's doing, he may
want to discuss future maintenance and upkeep. Personally, if my name
wasn't attached to the show in a strong way, I'd just give them the items
and let them deal with it from there.

--
Kate Stack

Props Master